Skip to main content

The Theology of Belonging

What does it mean to belong? We belong to families, circles of friends, clubs/organizations, churches, interest groups, secret societies, and most importantly we belong to God. We learn from an early age what it means to physically and emotionally belong or not belong. If you come from a close knit family that shows acceptance, care, patience, and above all love you probably have a pretty good idea what it means to belong. If growing you were different from the other kids and never fit in the “in” crowd, never got picked first in gym class, always had less valentines (even though everyone was supposed to bring one for everyone), and never felt accepted for who you were, you might have a good idea what it means to not belong. If it was always easy for you to belong and then you have trouble finding a place to fit in you might wonder what is wrong with you. If you never felt like you belonged and now you have found your place you might always be waiting for someone to come and say “sorry we were wrong, you don’t belong”.  No matter which side of the understanding of belonging you fall, I offer these thoughts, on what I have named the “theology of belonging”.

This term “theology of belonging” is one that, to the best of my knowledge, is not a coined term. I have not found anything specifically written about it but there could be stuff out there. It is based primarily on the idea that no matter how God has created you-you belong to God. But it is more than that. It is more than just saying the words “you belong to God”. It is grasping the concept that when you feel like you don’t fit anywhere else, you fit with God. This spiritual understanding of belonging is different than our cultural understanding of belonging.  Mostly because belonging to God is not like belonging to the high school band, the Rotary club, or the fraternal organization you joined in college. Belonging to God is something that never goes away. This sense of belonging doesn’t leave when you graduate or move away or forgot to pay your alumni dues. This belonging to God is, in my opinion, the best but most exhausting thing to ever happen to us.
This is most definitely not a theology in the way most might think of theology. In fact it is probably more like an abstract idea connecting multiple theological understandings together in a way that makes sense to me, someone who didn’t always “belong”.  When I say I didn’t belong I don’t mean in the negative way described above but rather I floated around in several different groups. In all my “circles of friends” the only things that connected them was me. I don’t say that in an egotistical way like “without me they wouldn’t have existed”. What I mean is each group I was connected with had nothing in common. There was no common thread that would make me “belong” to these groups except that I (me, myself) wanted to be part of them.
In our culture we often limit our idea of belonging to the current situations and places we find ourselves. The people we know and see on a regular basis, the people who make up our families, circle of friends, organization, etc. We rarely think about what “group” we might find ourselves in next because for many of us our days are only filled with people we already know, care for, accept, and love. We forget about the other people who come in and out of our lives quickly who don’t fit in a category- family, friend, church person, co-worker, club member.

We focus as a culture primarily on the physical belonging and not as much on the spiritual belonging. That is where, for me, this idea of the theology of belonging came from. The people we pass on the street or in the coffee shop or at the grocery store, the people we might smile at but never speak to, they belong to the same God we do. The blessing and curse of being human- because we belong to God we also belong to each other (all of us- even the not so nice people we want to disown).  That is why I said earlier that belonging to God is the best but most exhausting thing to ever happen to us.

The thing I have discovered about this “theology of belonging” I have created is that it has become part of your daily mind set. It has to be worked into your life in such a way that pushes you to look at every human encounter (even the one with the not so nice folks) as an opportunity to express your belonging to God.
For me it is a theology (albeit a work in progress) that serves as a reminder that everyday I belong to a unique group of people created by God. A group of people that I am supposed to care for, show acceptance, understanding and compassion towards, and above all love not because I receive these things from them but because I have received these things from God.
I know this isn’t a foreign concept to anyone that I know who reads this blog. Maybe (because I have been writing other things all day) this is an incoherent mess and no one will understand what I am trying to say but I wonder- do others understand the way I do


This almost became "Theological Friday"

Comments

  1. Amazing terminology used for those tiny invisible strands that somehow bind us all together---even on days---busy days or bad days---when we have no idea or no acknowledgement of our connectiveness. Wasn't it King that said something to the effect of ...what the actions of one impact the whole....most of us only have moments when we remember this....
    "theology of belonging"....nicely said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro