Skip to main content

10 Days of Cleaning and 2 days of Silence

Thursday ended my first 10 days of volunteering at St. Mary. After a short trip to town to walk around the mall, a quick load of laundry and a new set of sheets I was ready for the evening supper bell to ring and for my retreat to begin.

I posted on Facebook that I would be reflecting on my week of volunteering a friend and colleague wondered how theologically deep one could reflect on cleaning bathrooms and washing dishes…well Jim here we go!

Just for clarity, dish washing has never been an enjoyable house hold chore for me.  Another point of clarity, I do my own dishes but I have one of those “fancy automatic washers”, as my grandma would have said so it isn't that terrible. I don't know if it is because I never worked in food service as a teenager, maybe it is some underlying desire to work in food services, I don’t know, it could possibly be a slight undiagnosed case of OCD. Whatever it is, industrial dishwashers have recently started to intrigue me. Their sheer size alone is intimidating but then understanding the speed and temperature at which they operate is amazing to me. In a matter of 90 seconds, in most cases, this piece of kitchen equipment can take the messiest table service and make it look brand new. I know, I know this is a strange thing to reflect on but it is was it is. 

Like I said, this is a newish fascination. It started when I moved to Oskaloosa and discovered the church kitchen had one. It was one of those mysteries that begged to be solved. The actual mystery was figuring out who ran it. Once I figured that out I simply watched and over time stepped in when I could, well when they would let me. I still have no idea what drew me to the dishwasher, maybe it was that I thought someone under 40 should know how to run it, maybe I wanted to give those who always ran it a chance to take a break.

One thing I have realized however is that for as much as I dislike doing dishes, I hate feet even more. It will be a miracle of miracles the day you see me WILLING participate in a foot washing service. It wasn’t until this past Winter(4+ years after learning how to operate the thing)however during a funeral luncheon, truth be told, that I found a strange beauty in scraping, loading, and rinsing plates, cups and silverware to be pushed into the dishwasher. 
There I was, still in my heels and dress, just back from the cemetery, washing the dishes of the family and friends of a beloved woman. A woman who didn’t know me because the Alzheimer’s wouldn’t allow her to know or remember much of anything. I didn’t know her family, they were all from out of town, but there I was washing plates and glasses, forks, and knives.

The act of washing, of making the unclean clean again is something we often take for granted. Yet is something that Jesus does repeatedly throughout the gospels. It struck me that even the act of washing dishes, especially dishes used by the wider community is no exception. Washing dishes and even cleaning bathrooms (Carrie Bowie, I owe you when I get back for doing this for our church community) has become for me an act of the Holy. I was reminded this week with every plate I rinsed and every toilet I cleaned that God has done a far greater thing in me. God accepts me, clean…unclean…and everywhere in between. Next time you stand in front of the sink (it doesn’t have to be an industrial machine) or you wipe down the bathroom counter say prayer for those who will use the things you have cleaned, for those who don’t know what it is like to have clean plates or bathrooms, and for yourself that you might be reminded that God through Jesus Christ has cleansed you and made you new again.

Enough about washing dishes. I am now 48ish hours into my retreat and being silent isn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. We have been encouraged in the past few days to reflect on our connection to God’s creation as well as thinking about where we find ourselves in the reality of the changing world, and how we feel about where we are right now, emotionally and spiritually.  
Here are a few reflections from the past few days.

Where are we in the beauty of the earth? Even when things aren’t pretty.

I have always been in the midst of a rapidly changing world. Much of the change I don’t think I have even the possibility of making a difference because, who am I? Who am I to the corporation who rights the check to drill the oil, who am I to the contractor who cuts cost by using cheap materials but not sustainable ones, who am I, that people would listen.

I Have No…
I have no power in the corporate world, or do I?
I have no influence on the world outside my immediate surroundings, or do I?
I have no voice in the choices of others, or do I?
I have no power but the power of God instilled in me upon my creation.
I have no influence but the influence of Christ to be a light in the darkness.
I have no voice except to say, because of the Holy Spirit, the truth in love for God’s creation.
Power, influence, voice depending on who you ask, I either have all or none of these.

Scripture Reflection-
“I come that they might have life and have it abundantly” John 10:10

What powerful words. When I think of abundant life I think of having more than I need and having it always at my disposal. I am most positive this is not what Christ had in mind when he said these words in John. We are all consumers, but it is up to us to be conscious consumers, aware of how the action of consuming affects those directly around us as well as the whole of humanity and creation for that matter.

Week Four (Cape May)

Hope (maybe 2) for the week: I hope that the humidity stays low, the sun continues to shine, and that no matter where you are you continue praying for me and my time away from my congregation. I also hope that as the new school year begins all “my kids” wherever they are have a great school year!

Is there an Answer (last week’s question): What will I learn this week from Christians (primarily Catholics) that will enhance my faith and how I understand my own spiritual practice?
Every day since I arrived we have shared in morning liturgy. Singing, scripture, homily, communion, more singing, and prayers. One thing I appreciate about the Catholic faith and tradition are their prayers. Lifting to God all of who we have been, who we are, and who we hope to be in Christ- powerful, amazing, humbling. I have always felt my prayer life was pretty active and routine and I still believe that but what I have learned this past week is that prayer and worship should always come before everything. You have dishes to wash, they will be there when your prayer time is over. You have a meal to prepare, those brownies will bake while you take a moment to be with God. You have errands to run, they will go much smoother if you lift them up to God before you step out of the house.
I have learned that active and routine does not always mean spiritually filling. I have learned prayer time is never over it just changes location.

Question of the Week: How can I share God’s grace with someone this week, even in the silence?

Thought for the week: I am glad the 45 minute time of sharing is only every other day…there are some who are struggling with keeping silent (quiet for that matter) and they talked way too much.


I invite you to join me daily in the Prayer for the week: In the quiet O God, help me to not be restless. Let me instead find rest in you. You speak and creation dances O God, you speak and the waves calm their thrashing O Mighty One. Hear me in this week ahead as I ask you to show me places to dance, places to sing of your Glory and Grace. Help me also to see the times and places you call me to calm my restless soul. Shout if you must so that I will “Be still and know that [You] are God.” Amen.

                                           God Bless, 
                                                        Andrea

Comments

  1. Excellent Andrea - I have been on a journey myself as I am closing out my ministry at Hedrick, and am moving on to secular ministry for a time; yes secular ministry for that is where my internal journey has brought me to. Secular employment will once again be my ministry for a time as I walk along side my father and my father-in-law as they walk their final days, and I walk beside my mothers as they learn to say good-bye, and live without their husbands. Each of us are charged with doing ministry where we are - each act that we preform should be done for the glory of the Lord, inside or outside the church.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

From Behind the Communion Table

Over the past 10 years of pastoral ministry I have had the privilege to sit behind several Communion Tables. To preside at the Lord’s Supper is, I think, one of the most extraordinary things a minister can lead for her congregation. In lifting and break the bread and lifting and pouring the cup, reminding all who are gathered what Christ did for each of them, a minister is given the opportunity to look out into the heart of the congregation. In those moments after the Elders have distributed the trays to the Diaconate (in my tradition we pass trays filled with pieces of bread and cups of juice) I have been given the special opportunity to look everyone participating in worship. Over the years I have seen couples holding hands, children kneeling on the floor coloring a page from worship totes, mothers and grandmothers holding new babies, and others siting like statues eyes closed deep in prayer…or maybe they are asleep. I don’t watch the congregation in a creepy “I’m watching you” k