Skip to main content

Are You Excited for the Long Weekend?

“Do you have big plans for this holiday weekend?” I was asked as I stood in the check out line at the grocery store earlier this week. Before I could answer the person asking me the question started telling me what they had planned for this “long weekend”. First it starts; “I’m so excited to not have to go to work on Friday I’m not going to do anything Friday-sleep in, lounge around, do you have to work Friday? Saturday I’m not sure what I will do but probably finishes getting things ready for my kids Easter baskets and if it doesn’t rain maybe an egg hunt. Sunday I have my whole family coming over about 11:30 for lunch and we will probably eat more than we should. I am glad I get Monday off too so I can recover.” She takes a breath, “Do you have plans?” she asks me again.
Prime opportunity-we sometimes pray for these moments. “Please God give me the opportunity to share my faith.” We don’t ever think it will happen. God can’t use me, we think to ourselves. Here was my opportunity, this woman clearly didn’t know I was a pastor in the community in fact she didn’t know me at all, I could have said just about anything and she would have smiled and said “That sounds nice.”  
So I start my answer, “I have to work on Friday. I am the Associate Pastor at First Christian Church and there is a community Good Friday service at St Paul’s at 7pm. I am giving the message.”
I can see her expression changing, she is embarrassed perhaps because no where in her plans for the weekend did she mention going to church and she was talking to a minister…
I continued, “Anyone is welcome to come to the service. It is a service to remind us what Christ has done for us, dying on the cross, choosing to follow God’s will even when it led to death.” Saturday I don’t really have big plans, but Sunday morning our church is having a breakfast from 8-9:30 and worship at 10.”
With an expression of guilt or maybe fear on her face that I was going to scold her for not mentioning plans to attend worship anywhere. I paid for my groceries, turned to her and said, I hope God blesses you this Easter-remember First Christian Church is having worship at 10am, bring your family with you, then you will know they will be on time for lunch!
I don’t know if she will bring her family to worship on Sunday, but I do know that I was able to have an entire conversation about this exciting Easter without mentioning, eggs, bunny, and fancy dresses.
Are you excited for this weekend?
If someone were to ask you your plans- will church be mentioned or just your egg hunt and chaotic family dinner plans?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Almost Back to Reality

In this final few days of sabbatical as I begin to re-enter “the real world”, I want to thank each of you who have prayed for and with me over these almost 60 days. I have spent time over these past two months reflecting on eleven years of ministry and know that God continues to call me to this extraordinarily beautiful life with all of the highs and lows of working with, living with, and loving Gods people. I am looking forward to these last few days however my heart and soul are ready to be back with the wonderful people of First Christian Church and Oskaloosa! See you very soon. Week Nine Hope for the week:  I hope the people I have been away from are as excited to see me as I am to see them! Is there an Answer (last week’s question): How many pages will I write for my devotion/resource? It is hard to say how many pages have been written, however I made progress in outline, structure, and worship ideas. Question of the Week:    How much $$ will it take to restock my emp