Skip to main content

Reflect Courage

Good morning!

It is not a secret that I am not exactly a morning person. I can get up in the morning and function it just takes me a little while to "be awake". There are a few things and a few times of year that are the "exception to the rule".

-Any week that I am counselling or directing camp

-Any time I am in WV/Pa visiting family and friends

-Hospital or other morning visits with church members

Recently I added meeting a friend for a morning walk 2-3 times a week.

Today I am adding another.
In September my spiritual direction certification classes started. Our entire scheduled was changed because of COVID and not being able to gather in the same space. So we met online and began to get to know each other. It is not easy to get to know people in this way, but it is slowly happening. Even though we didn't get to spend a concentrated week together, we are still connected. This group meetings monthly. early in the morning, on zoom. My Spiritual Direction Cohort, is a mix of clergy, laity, ordained, commissioned individuals beautiful and unique in so many way but above all children of God. Some people would be uncomfortable sitting mostly in silence in front of their computer for 45 minutes with a group of people they have never met in person, but from the beginning it has not been that way, at least for me, with this group.
We spent a few minutes catching up but today's main purpose was to practice Simple Presence together. After hearing Psalm 90 read from one of our instructors, we spent 20 minutes in silence and quiet reflection. Then we shared what we heard in our time of listening.
This is what I heard in our time of listening-
"reflect courage"
Over the past several months I have not always known what to say or what to do. I don't know if the decisions I have made have been the correct ones. I hope no one has been harmed by my decisions, but I am aware that they could have been. These words "reflect courage" kept surfacing for me this morning as a reminder that in the midst of 2020- a pandemic and economical, societal and political uncertainty, being one who reflects courage is not an easy place to be. Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the act of continuing on in the face of grief, pain, fear, or uncertainty. I hope that I have reflected courage not as a "don't be afraid of all the things happening" but rather as a reflection of God's presence and light in the midst of darkness, a reminder that even in the hardest of times and the seemingly darkest of valleys God is the force that allows us to live courageously but also to reflect to others their own ability to have courage in these moments of fear, pain, grief and uncertainty.
Like I said, over that past several months I have not always known what to say or do, but I hope I have reflected God's courage in the midst of my own uncertainty.


I invite you to spend some time with this Psalm over the next few days. You don't have to spend 20 minutes in silence, just try 5 to start. What do you hear God saying to you in this prayer from the Psalmist?

Psalm 90 (as found in "Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness" by Nan C. Merrill)

"Eternal and Immortal One, You have been  
                    our refuge in all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,  
before You had formed the earth and
the world, from  
everlasting to everlasting,  
You are the Alpha and the Omega.

 

When our days on Earth are ended,  
You welcome us home to your Heart,  
to the City of Light,  
where time is eternal  
and days are not numbered.

 

You gather those who love You as  
friends returning from a long  
journey,  
giving rest to their souls.  
You anoint them with the balm of  
understanding,  
healing wounds of the past.

 

For our days on Earth are a mystery,  
a searching for You,  
a yearning for the great Mystery  
to make itself known.  
The years pass and soon the  
     Harvest is at hand,  
a time to reap the fruit of  
one's life.  
Who has with integrity?  
Who will reflect the Light  
         Who can bear the radiant beams  
             of Love?

 

Who have reverenced the Counselor,  
         and opened their hearts to the  
         Spirit of Truth?  
Teach us, O Beloved, to honor each day  
     that we may have a heart  
                    of wisdom.

 

Awaken us, O Holy One! Too long  
                    have we been asleep!  
Have mercy on your people! 
Help us to wait in Silence listening      
                    for your gentle Voice;  
        Strengthen us with courage to  
                 face the fears within.  
O, that we might be converted in  
                    our hearts  
        and walk together in peace and  
                harmony!  
Let your Love be known to the nations,  
        your Glory to our children's  
                   children.  
Let the grace and gentleness of the  
                     Holy Spirit be upon us,  
         guiding our feet upon the paths  
                       of Love Consciousness  
Increase the Light within us--  
        O Beloved, hear our prayer!  
                                Amen."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

From Behind the Communion Table

Over the past 10 years of pastoral ministry I have had the privilege to sit behind several Communion Tables. To preside at the Lord’s Supper is, I think, one of the most extraordinary things a minister can lead for her congregation. In lifting and break the bread and lifting and pouring the cup, reminding all who are gathered what Christ did for each of them, a minister is given the opportunity to look out into the heart of the congregation. In those moments after the Elders have distributed the trays to the Diaconate (in my tradition we pass trays filled with pieces of bread and cups of juice) I have been given the special opportunity to look everyone participating in worship. Over the years I have seen couples holding hands, children kneeling on the floor coloring a page from worship totes, mothers and grandmothers holding new babies, and others siting like statues eyes closed deep in prayer…or maybe they are asleep. I don’t watch the congregation in a creepy “I’m watching you” k