Skip to main content

No Time Like the Present

It has been over 2 years since I've written on this blog. As we approach the end of 2019, the end of one decade and the beginning of the next, the expression "no time like the present" seems an appropriate one as I think about when to "restart" this little space I created for myself on the internet. I didn't start writing here because I wanted to make money or generate a large following. In 2010 when I started this blog, I was serving as an associate pastor and I wasn't preaching every Sunday so I needed a place to write my thoughts not only for preaching but life and ministry in general. I needed a way to get my thoughts out of my head so they didn't just swim around in there causing havock and chaos. But because of my personality I also wanted it to have some kind of "order".
Over the years I have tried many different ways to organize this blog, just like I've tried many different planners organize my life...all of them work for a while and then I need a change. I have no idea what the "ordered chaos" of this blog will look like in the coming year, that will come with a little exploration the first few weeks of the year. 
I'm not going to reflect tonight on the past decade, I'll do that another day. Tonight is just a night to say that in the year (and maybe the decade) to come I plan to share more reflections on life, ministry, and spiritual direction.

Sooooo in the meantime,

There is no time like the present to try something new or to restart something that you enjoyed but stopped doing. 
There is no time like the present to work on being the best version of yourself (whatever that means to you). 
There is no time like the present to do the thing, say the words, make the call, take the class, share the love, show a kindness.

Here is my 2020 Hope (no time like the present) list:
1. Be more present with my family and friends.
2. Be a better spouse and parent
3. Write more faithfully on this blog so I can accomplish the first two things on this list.

I won't write ever day, I'm just being honest. But my hope is that I write more in 2020 than I have in the past 2 years. (Goal accomplished by posting this tonight haha) 🤪 
Happy New year 🎉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro