Skip to main content

Holy Cow, 5 years already!!

Holy cow, it's been 5 years! 

When I decided to begin writing a blog I wasn’t really sure what it would look like. I sent several possible “this is what/how I am going to do with this blog” to some friends to get their opinions. They all responded with “these all sound good, just pick one”.  I guess I never really picked one. For a while I tried to write every day but something always came up that didn’t allow me the time I needed to get it done. So then I tried once a week, that didn’t always work either. Over the past 5 years I have written very sporadically mostly when something significant happened in my life(important anniversaries, ridiculous or ironic conversations in grocery store lines, unexpected death or change) Never consistent and never what any of my original plans looked like.

I decided to look at the stats. There are at least 15 people who read this blog every.single.time something is posted. That is awesome, thanks for coming back! As I looked at the stats and reread some of my posts I was reminded that even if only one person reads this and it offers them something to think about or encourages them to come up with their own “Hope for the Week” then it has served its purpose. I will keep writing if you will keep reading(if you like it and want to share it with others I wouldn’t be upset if more than 15 people read it on a regular basis).

A lot has happened in 5 years. I’ve gained many new friends and have lost a few as well. I have gained 2 nieces (one by blood and one by friendship) who are both 4 years old now. I have, in my opinion, gained confidence in myself as a pastor and preacher.  I have earned thousands of frequent flyer miles and Amtrak points and put 70,000+ miles on my car. I have moved from one house to another and have rearranged my current place more times than I can count. I have laughed and cried and sat in silence with some of the greatest individuals God’s ever created. I have had countless deep and crazy conversations over cups of coffee, pints of beer, and glasses of wine. I have done a great deal of living in the past 5 years.

So to those of you who have been reading and following from the beginning, thank you for always being here! For those of you who have more recently joined the party, thank you for joining me!

I plan to keep braving the waters far into the future, who knows maybe someday enough people will read this that blogger will send me a check for $0.50!!! Either way, I hope you’ll keep braving the waters of life and love and following Christ!

Blessing to you and yours,

                                                Andrea J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro