Skip to main content

Because...God

My mom made this for me for my ordination June 30, 2007
Wow I can’t believe tomorrow I return to work!! These 64 days away have brought much relaxation and renewal. They have given me the opportunity to reflect on the past 11 years of congregational ministry as well as time to discern what God has in store for the future.

Did I do all the things I planned to do while on sabbatical? No, not really. Was I able to do some things I didn’t think were possible? Yes and I am thankful. I spent time with friends and family, which rejuvenated my soul. I spent time making new friends, who reminded me of the vastness of God’s table. I spent with God, not only in prayer but in the laughter of my nephew and niece, in hugs from friends I hadn’t seen in years, and even in the sweetness of tears as I headed West to return home last week.

Of all the things I learned while on sabbatical, the most important is to make the time. Make the time for the people who are important to you. Make the time to get to know people who are different from you. Make the time to be by yourself. Make the time to connect with the One who created you. Make the time Every.Single.Day to live into “the calling to which you have been called.”(Ephesians 4) It might seem like a hugely impossible thing because life is so busy and chaotic at times. I mean how can we possible make the time for ALL THE THINGS?

Over the past 64 days I have learned that we, as human beings, make time for what is important to us. We have time to do ALL THE THINGS, if they are important enough to us. Over the past two months I have learned that I haven’t always made the time, even for the important things including my relationship with God. Which is a very scary thing to admit as a minister.

About this time of year 11 years ago, I accepted my first call to serve as the student associate for children, youth, and young adults at Lafayette Christian Church in Lexington Ky. They gave me a chance to “get my feet wet”. They endured terrible sermons but helped me grow as a person and as a minister. 8 years ago the beautiful congregations of Big Run and Fork Ridge called me as their pastor, they showed me the truest definition of grace by walking with me into some new and different ways to be church. 5 years ago I was called to serve as the Associate Pastor of First Christian Church, Oskaloosa, Iowa. I’m not sure any of us knew what God had in store but it has been amazing(in my opinion) and it isn’t over yet!!

5 years ago I knew without a doubt God was calling me to something new and exciting. I found myself moving half way across the country to Iowa. People often ask me, “Why did you move to Iowa?” My answer has always been the same “Because…God.”  8 years ago I moved to rural West Virginia and when people asked why my answer was the same as it is now, “Because…God.” 11 years ago I moved to Ky to go to seminary and people asked why I would want to go into this crazy vocation of ministry and I said, you guessed it, “Because…God”. 33 years ago, even though I don’t remember or know this for sure, I can hope(I don’t think she’ll get upset if I put these words in her mouth) my mom might have looked at me and said to my dad “Who will she become?” Because of person I am today, thanks to my parents, I can only trust that he looked at her and said “It doesn’t matter. Because…God.”

If hadn't made the time, even if it wasn't always daily, to be with God I might have missed out on some pretty amazing things not only in ministry but in life. We don't always realize that we have made time for God  and on the flip side we don't always realize when we have NOT made time for God. 

ALL THE THINGS you want to do, the person you have been called to be; you can do those things and be that person, because…God. Just take the time and trust that the One who created you will make the time for things to happen.

Hope for the week:  I hope my first week back people and God will be gentle with me, I haven’t had a normal routine for almost 70 days. J

Is there an Answer (last week’s question): How much $$ will it take to restock my empty fridge and pantry…??

Not as much as I expected but the grocery total was $123.10…not too bad for 2 weeks worth of food.

Question of the Week:   Have I been doing this practice of blogging long enough for it to be a habit?

Thought for the week:  I hope someone invites me to have a Maid Rite this week…I don’t want to have to go there alone ;-)


I invite you to join me daily in the Prayer for the week: God of ALL things, be with me this week as I try to do your work in this world. Show me the people and places where your light needs to shine. Break into my heart that I might see you in others, always. Begin a new work in my that when others ask “why” my only answer can be, “because…God. Amen.

I'm excited for tomorrow(and not just because there will be hamballs following worship). I am excited because I know God has called me into an extraordinary way of living and I intend make all the time I've been given count.
                                                                    Blessings,
                                                                                   Andrea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro