Skip to main content

Before I was...

Tonight I am writing from a place I have called “home” for many years. Cedar Lakes Conference Center in Ripley WV. This is the place where I attended church camp and in later years counselled and directed those same camps. It is a Holy place for me even though it is not a “church” camp. This time I am here in a slightly different capacity. A daughter come home, not a wayward wanderer but a child of God who was given both roots and wings in the most sacred of ways in the most sacred of places. I am here in this place as the keynote speaker for the WV Disciples Women’s Spiritual Life Retreat. I am in awe, and I’m not sure why, at how the Spirit of God has been at work these past few days.

I should back up, before arriving here Friday afternoon I spent a whirlwind weekend in Kansas City celebrating the marriage of dear friends, I stayed up way to late with one of my oldest, closest, bestest friend talking about life even though we already know everything about each other’s lives, and I spent time (more time I should say) with the Sister’s of St Joseph in Wheeling. All the while preparing my heart and soul and mind and WORDS for this weekend’s festivities.

I had my powerpoint slides ready, so I thought. I had my script written, so I thought. I was ready for this weekend, so I thought.

I stand up in front of people weekly and pray or preach or speak the words of institution and never feel nervous. Until the last verse of the last song of the gathering songs, I didn’t feel nervous. Some of them are likely reading this now because I know they follow this blog and they are thinking “I didn’t think she was nervous”. I was, but it didn’t last long. Because as I started speaking to these women I remembered they love me and care about me and support no matter what I do-partly because I am “from them” they raised me and taught me and loved me before I knew what God was calling me to do and be. But I also remembered that and care for me and support me because before I was (part of them) I was a child of God.

As we have worked through the weekend together learning about deepening our prayer lives and in turn deepening our relationship with God I reminded them over and over our deepest connection was instilled in us at our birth, before we became daughters and mothers and sisters and aunties and friends and and and…we were child of God the most high.

I’ll just let you sit with that for a moment or two…before I was fill in your own blank. I was a child of God.

Week Seven (WV Women’s Retreat)

Hope for the week: I hope that I am able to live this week in such a way that my heart reflects the heart of God who made me. 

Is there an Answer (last week’s question): How will I allow God to change me this week?

I watched from a distance tragedy strike several places (families, friends, and a community) where I could physically do nothing to offer support. Because of my own boundaries I had to choose what to do and how to do it…I chose to sit in silent prayer for those I couldn’t sit beside at funeral services. I chose to light a candle for lives lost unexpectedly because I know what it feels like to not have the chance to say goodbye. I chose to do these things with no way to share them (until now). I don't know if God changed me but God reminded me many times that the same Spirit that is embracing me is also embracing those I can’t, even though I so desperately wish I could.

Question of the Week:    Will I practice what I “preached” to the women of WV? (see prayer below)

Thought for the week:  Is it possible to add 10 more days to the month of September? No…it can only have 30, ok if that’s how it has to be.

I invite you to join me daily in the Prayer for the week: This week’s prayer is a little different than the others. I encourage you to begin each day, as your feet are hitting the floor, by saying “I AM a Child of God and THIS is as good as it gets!” (There is nothing greater than reminding yourself who you are first thing in the morning- am I right??!!?)

Then I want you to take just a few minutes (before or after your coffee whatever suits you better) and P.R.A.Y
         Pause(take a moment to check in with God)
         Reflect(on the past few hours, days, weeks, years, or a particular situation in your life)
         Awareness(take a deep breath, close your eyes, come into the awareness of God’s presence)
         Yield(to the moment, let God in and see what happens)
Say Amen when you are ready and go out into the world reminded that before you were fill in your own job/role for the day you were a child of God.


                                                Blessings and grace, Andrea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro