Skip to main content

Holy Wednesday 2015

The turning point

I often catch myself think “what if” when I reflect on major turning points in my life. What if I had chosen Hiram over Mount Union when I was deciding what college to go to? What if I had stayed home the summer of 2003 instead of working at Camp Cedar?  What if I had gone to United Seminary instead of Lexington? What if…what if…

What if the disciples had gotten it the first time Jesus tried to tell them what was going to happen to him? What if God had decided there was another way when Jesus prayed in the garden?

Perhaps you, like I, spend a good bit of time on the “what ifs” when we really don't need to. When we find ourselves at a turning point and we have weighed all the what if’s and might be’s and make the decision to go left, right, forward, backward, or stand still…that then becomes the known, not the what if. The turning point has past and we are now headed in a new and different direction than before.

For me, Wednesday of Holy Week is that turning point/“what if” moment in Christ’s story.  That turning point when everything could have gone differently. What if Jesus had decided he didn't care about God’s will for him and he ran away? What if the disciples had said let’s stay here, no need to pray in the garden? What if they had fought for him or stood beside him at the trial? That point in the story when we still don't know, without doubt, what the "known" will become.

We can imagine what it might be like but will never know for certain. For instance if I had chosen Hiram over Mount Union, I would not have met some of the best people on the planet, who helped me through some pretty tough times. If I hadn't gone to Camp Cedar I would never had made friendships that have lasted more than 10 years even though we only talk on the same day once a year. If I had gone to United instead of Lexington, I would still be a minister but I wouldn't have the tremendous support system that I do because I don’t know who I would have met there. 

If I had made different decisions at any point in life, I would likely still be doing what I am doing now, maybe in a different congregation, in a different state or a different field of ministry but God has a funny way of getting us where we need to be, whether we miss a turning point or not.


So on the Holy Wednesday when the story is about to take a major turn, sit for a moment with all the “what if’s” you can think of and then when you are ready- read the story(whichever Gospel you prefer) of the Last Supper and prepare yourself for what happens next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

From Behind the Communion Table

Over the past 10 years of pastoral ministry I have had the privilege to sit behind several Communion Tables. To preside at the Lord’s Supper is, I think, one of the most extraordinary things a minister can lead for her congregation. In lifting and break the bread and lifting and pouring the cup, reminding all who are gathered what Christ did for each of them, a minister is given the opportunity to look out into the heart of the congregation. In those moments after the Elders have distributed the trays to the Diaconate (in my tradition we pass trays filled with pieces of bread and cups of juice) I have been given the special opportunity to look everyone participating in worship. Over the years I have seen couples holding hands, children kneeling on the floor coloring a page from worship totes, mothers and grandmothers holding new babies, and others siting like statues eyes closed deep in prayer…or maybe they are asleep. I don’t watch the congregation in a creepy “I’m watching you” k