Skip to main content

To the Extreme

Some might say I am too young to know have experienced real heartache. Others might say I’m too sensitive and I need to toughen up. But those who know me best (you know who you are) might tell you that if you come into my life and you need love, I will passionately and enthusiastically give it to you. I love to the extreme and without measure and because of this often experience heartache.

Obviously, different kinds of people receive different kinds of love from me but regardless of the kind of love you receive it will often be to the extremist of degrees. I don’t love the stranger who comes into my office needing gas money or groceries the same way that I love my family. I don’t love my family the same way I love my dog. You get the point. While I love fervidly and sometimes without much regard to my own well-being, my love is never lackadaisical or careless even if that sounds like a contradiction in terms.

When another person’s heart or well-being are on the line, I try never to be careless or lackadaisical because the last thing I want to do is be a source of heartache or pain. While I keep “the other’s” heart in mind seemingly at all cost, sometimes my fervidly passionate way of loving causes me to not think about my own heart or well-being.

You would think that loving others with such gusto it would be impossible for one’s heart not to be full but over time I have discovered that living life in such a way as this, loving passionately without abandon, can sometimes cause leave my own heart to feel empty and broken.

It doesn't really matter the source of the heartache, the death of a loved one, the ending of a relationship, the loss of a pet, finding out someone you have helped has abused the help that was given, or some other reason (I’m sure you have your own), what matters is that heartbreak is quite possibly the worst experience we go through as human beings. It is the worst because no matter how much we try to deny it, ignore it, or run from it if we live our lives “right” heartbreak is something we will experience repeatedly. If we, who consider ourselves creatures of love, love to the extreme ability God the creator has given us, we will have an equal amount of occasions to experience heartbreak.

Now not every time we love someone or something will we experience heartache but seldom can escape that our fragile hearts are simply that, fragile. The good news though is that for as easily as our hearts can break it doesn't take much to mend them back together. If we allow ourselves time to mend what is broken we have the ability to love again each time a little stronger, a little wiser, a little more grateful. I prayer for you this Advent/Christmas season and always the ability to come back again to love to the extreme- that’s what I plan to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro