Skip to main content

What a Great Family

My heart hangs heavy now. I see people close to me hurting and there is nothing I can do to make it stop.

Nothing I can say, nothing I can do will ever change the unspeakable events of yesterday(1/9/14).  

This is not about me however; as I write you might think “she is making this about her”. That is not my intention at all because I know that there is nothing I can say and nothing I can do to ever make this day better for a family who is grieving the loss of a son, brother, nephew, cousin, and friend.

I have been dating my boyfriend Justin for just over 3 years which means I have also known his family for just over 3 years. The first time I met the whole family was 4th of July weekend 2011. He had told me about his cousins Wade and Clark. I thought I was prepared to meet them, I thought I was ready-smile on, hand extended, about to say hello- the first words out of his cousin Clark’s mouth “family doesn't shake hands family gotta hug”.

Fast forward to Christmas 2013, Clark and I were sitting beside each other on the couch. We chatted about life. We talked for 30 minutes like no one else was in the room. He had an encouraging perspective on life, a passionate desire to love his family without measure, and a personality that could not be matched by any other. I don’t remember with any great detail anything about our conversation except for this, as we ended our conversation and “joined” the rest of the room, not looking at each other we both sighed a deep sigh, I started to say “this is a great family to be part of…” and he said first “Damn, isn't it great to part of this family.”

As I read the text message from Justin yesterday morning and heard the words from his mother when I called her in disbelief “Clark was killed in a car crash this morning”. His words flew through my mind.

When I walked through the door of Justin’s sister’s house yesterday afternoon and I sat on the couch, where that conversation happened not even a month ago, with his family, people I also consider my family, in the midst of the tears and hugs, buzzing cell phones and barking dogs; in the midst of broken hearts and shattered dreams I heard his words “Damn, isn't it great to be part of this family.”

Yes-Clark- even in the depths of the unknown and one of the darkest moments of their lives, they will lift each other up, keep each other going. Even when emotions run wild and feelings are raw your words will ring in my head. “Damn, isn't it great to be part of this family.”

My heart hangs heavy now. I see people close to me hurting and there is nothing I can do to make it stop.

Nothing I can say, nothing I can do will ever change the unspeakable events of this tragic day.  


Comments

  1. The person that wrote this and shared it whether is was their word to word or something mixed; THANK YOU. It is heart warming and I feel I knew Clark...I knew his mother in college and she was an amazing person....I may have to borrow his words "Damn, isn't great to be part of this family." to inspire some people close as they are going through very similar situations. All I can say is that I did not have the privilege to know this fine young man but I feel I will never forget him. He is going to make memories and those that knew him and loved him will experience and carry on something wonderful because he was a part of their life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

From Behind the Communion Table

Over the past 10 years of pastoral ministry I have had the privilege to sit behind several Communion Tables. To preside at the Lord’s Supper is, I think, one of the most extraordinary things a minister can lead for her congregation. In lifting and break the bread and lifting and pouring the cup, reminding all who are gathered what Christ did for each of them, a minister is given the opportunity to look out into the heart of the congregation. In those moments after the Elders have distributed the trays to the Diaconate (in my tradition we pass trays filled with pieces of bread and cups of juice) I have been given the special opportunity to look everyone participating in worship. Over the years I have seen couples holding hands, children kneeling on the floor coloring a page from worship totes, mothers and grandmothers holding new babies, and others siting like statues eyes closed deep in prayer…or maybe they are asleep. I don’t watch the congregation in a creepy “I’m watching you” k