Skip to main content

Just Start Talking



picture found through google image search

How do you pray? This might seem like a silly question to some. It might be extremely difficult for others. It might be a question that has never or rarely entered your mind. So take a minute (or 2 or 3 or…) and think about it- How do you pray?

Do you sit in the silence of the morning before everyone else in your family is awake or maybe the quiet of the evening when they have all gone to bed? Do you curl up with your Bible and your favorite praise CD or pick up your journal and head for a secluded place that no one knows but you? Do you stand at the sink praying something new with each dish that you wash or maybe with each step on the treadmill you utter your words to God?

When I was little, early elementary age, I prayed by repeating after whichever person had the honor of teaching my unruly Sunday school class or by folding my hands when we were at the table waiting for my mom or dad to say ‘amen’ so we could eat. As I got older, think 4th or 5th, grade, I started to honestly listen to how “older” people around me prayed and I tried on my own to pray like they did.

I knew that prayer was an important part of being a faith Christian person. I knew that prayer was an important part of my family’s life and the congregation that my dad served. I knew what prayer was. But even in the midst of knowing what it was I didn't always know how to do it. I wanted to do it right. I wanted to do it the most fruitful way possible. Growing up that meant doing it how others had told me. “You always have to keep your hands folded and your eyes closed.” “You must only do it in secret and in silence, or in Sunday school and worship.” So, if sitting in the quiet with my hands folded behind my closed bedroom door or in Sunday school and worship were the best ways for God to hear me…then that is how I would pray. Over time however, I heard other voices join in this conversation about prayer. They started saying things like “When I find a song that touches my heart I sing it to God in my prayers.” Others said, “Sometimes the only time I have to talk to God is when I am driving down the road after work.”

What the what? I don’t have to sit in silence? I can pray in other ways? What the…this is life changing stuff here people.

If I had started this post with the question, “How do you talk to your best friend?”  What would your answer have been? I don’t know about you but I talk to my best friend in lots of different ways. We talk on the phone(and I am usually doing my dishes), we text(almost every day), we email, we send cards and notes and presents in the mail, when we are in the same time zone we spend as much time together as possible. I talk to her when she isn't even around, I make lists (sometimes) of the things I need to tell her in case there is a time lapse between phone calls.

Why then, I ask you, is our way of talking to God any different? Should we talk to God any differently than we do our best friend, the one person in the world we tell EVERYTHING too.

Soooooooooooooooo maybe your prayer life has taken a small hiatus because you felt like you didn't have time to sit in the quiet with your eyes closed and your hands folded behind your closed bedroom door for 20-30 minutes every day. 

It is Friday- thank goodness and there is no better day than today to pick up the spiritual phone and reconnect with God.

HOW are you going to pray today? At least here in Iowa it is cold and dreary, might I suggest a cup of hot chocolate, a fire (if you have a fireplace), a warm blanket, and a notepad. Make a list of all things you have been meaning to tell God. Or if you have too much to do around the house might I suggest praying for different people, situations, etc. while cleaning a different area of your house. Or maybe, when you’re driving home from work, turn off the radio and just START TALKING!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro