Skip to main content

I Wonder...Do You Ever?


from churchart.com 

Do you ever see someone doing something or hear someone say something and think “seriously…why. Why would you do that or say that…?” Do you ever wonder how some people have made it to where they are in life? Do you ever question how you have made it to where you are in life? Do you ever wish that you could change someone else’s attitude or thought process? Do you ever wonder how things would be if you had done one thing differently 5 or maybe 10 years ago? Just this morning I think almost all of these questions passed through my mind.

What is that I hear from you, is that a resounding YES! Glad to know I am not alone.

What are other things you wonder about?

I wonder how my life would be different if I hadn't listened to the voices of those around me saying that I should explore the idea of vocational ministry.

I wonder where I would be if I had, in my stubborn nature, continued on my way to become a band/choir director.

I wonder how my life would be different if my dad hadn't died when I was 21 years old.

I wonder…

I wonder, honestly, how some of the people in my life came to be part of my life.

I wonder how some people have been given the power over others without any kind check/balance system. (I am not speaking of the government here)

I wonder if I hold that power over another human being and I am not even aware that I do. (Even having that thought makes me feel like I probably do and I don’t know what to do about it)
I wonder why it is so difficult for us, humans, to let go of things and move forward.

I wonder if the “good old days” were so good why we, humans in general, made attempts to “improve what we had”.


Most often I wonder why I have so many random thoughts throughout the day and how I get anything else done.

I wonder about life and people and governments and other pastors and the environment and well everything I listed before and probably a great deal more I am not thinking about right now.

The interesting thing to me is that in the midst of all my wondering I never wonder about my faith. Where it came from, how I've grown because of it, or actually how I have grown in spite of my wondering about everything else.

I never wonder where God has been through everything in life. I never wonder when the other shoe will drop. I never wonder how I will get through the next “life lesson”. The only thing I sometimes wonder is WHY I don’t wonder about those things, unless I force myself to (for this blog for example).  

I never wonder about those things because I have learned from people in my life and experiences, both positive and negative, that God is the only constant in my world of wondering.

My last wondering, at least for today-

I wonder, do you ever feel the same way?

Comments

  1. I guess I should state that to me, wondering about how things might be different or how things have happened or why people do what they do is not synonymous with questioning God about why things are they way they are or happen the way they happen or why people do the things they do.

    Just a clarifying note. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro