Skip to main content

"Working" on Christmas Eve


picture from churchart.com 
Saturday afternoon my boyfriend and I finally decided what to get his nieces, sister, and brother-in-law for Christmas. I headed to the store to find the items (I’m not sure if his sister reads my blog so I won’t tell you what we got the family-but it is a cool family gift that they all will enjoy). Any way- I made it to the store, found the gifts and a few other items I didn't even realize I needed, and headed to the check out. As the cashier was ringing up my purchases, we made casual conversation. I asked him if because he was working the Saturday before Christmas he had Christmas Eve off. “Thank God” he said in a disdainful tone, “I am off Christmas Eve, but my mom is making me go to church with her.” then quickly he said “What about you? Do you have to work Christmas Eve?” I chuckled and excitedly said “I do have to work Christmas Eve!” I must have been one of the few people who didn't answer with snark in their voice that they had to work on Christmas Eve. Because of my chuckle perhaps he asked “You aren't upset that you have to work on Christmas Eve?” “No” I replied. “I’m a minister; I guess you could say it comes with the job.” He finished ringing up my stuff with a somber look on his face, perhaps fearful that he had offended me by saying his mother was making him go to church on Christmas Eve.  I paid for my items, picked up my bags, headed out the door, and said, unfortunately this time with a little snark in my voice, “Have a Merry Christmas, whatever you end up doing, even if it is going to church with your mom.”

This entire conversation undoubtedly took not more than five minutes and it is very similar to a conversation I had with a woman in line at the grocery store two Good Friday’s ago about what my Easter holiday plans were. I seem to always find myself in these conversations and I wish I could say I make them up so I have something to write about but, they are not made up, I really do have these conversations with people. In retrospect I should be better prepared but they always catch me off guard and in a moment when I could be the image of Christ in Christmas I do what I fear most, NOTHING. I do nothing except make a comment that may or may not make them feel bad that they didn't know they were talking to a minister, not very Christ like...

I didn't intend to make him feel bad with my comment as I left the store and I honestly don’t know if it even phased him but clearly I am still thinking about it two days later.  What sticks with me from this conversation however, is not the cashier’s facial expression after discovering I am a minister but the assumption that, before knowing my vocation, perhaps I would be as insincere about the possibility of going to church on Christmas Eve. I also have a strange respect for this young man that he didn't try to back pedal and change his story upon discovering that I am a minister. I am not sure what to do with that feeling.

As I have been thinking about this very brief exchange, I have also been thinking about others that I know and those I don’t who will be working tonight.  Not, because like me they are ministers, but because they work in a hospital, restaurant, department store, gas station, hotel, or any other place that might be open in the midst of the holiday at hand. I am also keenly aware that in the weeks of Advent I have probably had more missed opportunities to bring the story of the Christ child to others and I didn't  I am also aware, as Christmas arrives in a matter of hours, that the opportunities to be the face of Christ don’t end when all the presents are unwrapped and the food is put away. The opportunity to share the Christmas story isn't just up to the ministers “working” tonight but any who believe in the child who came many years ago this night.

If you are working tonight (wherever you might be working) or if you’re not working tonight remember that Christ will come wherever you are. Christ will come into the sanctuary at 5:30 when the candles are lit. Christ will come into the Emergency Room because someone’s uncle had too much eggnog and too many sugar cookies. Christ will come when the couple who received and unexpected gift card show up at a restaurant to share a meal together. Christ will come while you’re driving down the interstate trying to make it to your family by Christmas morning. Christ will come while you’re standing in line waiting to purchase those last minute gifts. Christ will come into your heart, wherever you are, whatever you’re doing if you open your eyes and see him.
                                    Merry Christmas- however you celebrate,
                                                                        Andrea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Update Your "To Do" List!

Do you have a daily “to do” list. This list is probably full of mundane tasks or high priority projects; it probably weighs over your head like a dreary rain cloud or maybe it is a security blanket reassuring you that you have done what needs to be done. Does your list look like this? Choose work that is in harmony with your values. Be forgiving of yourself and others Don’t take good health for granted Don’t write down anything you don’t want someone else to read Never tell anybody they can’t sing Learn three clean jokes Never deny anyone the opportunity to do something nice for you Never be too busy to meet someone new Never refuse homemade brownies Surprise an old friend with a phone call Sing in the shower If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself Slow dance Compliment three people every day Look people in the eye Or does it look more like this? Make coffee Shower/get ready Make the bed Go to work Work stuff Work stuff More work stuff Gro