Skip to main content

Who Are You?

I know it is inevitable that before the end of this month (if not already) there will be Christmas items in every store across the country and around the world. This upcoming season is my favorite and least favorite. It is my favorite because without the birth of Christ, it is virtually impossible to preach His gospel (so it is my favorite because without this part of the story we can’t get to the other part of the story-which is an entirely different blog)! It is my least favorite because so many have left Jesus in the manger as part of a pretty picture and not taken him into the rest of this Holy Day.
I know I have blogged about this before- read last year’s blog posted "Grinch or Gospel".

Too often I think we lack the courage and conviction to stand up for who we are as children of God. Courage by definition is “the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.” Before we even enter into the “Hectic Holiday” season we should commit to having courage to live out the gospel even if it means we don’t attend every party we are invited to, we only give gifts with actual significance to the people we love not everyone in a three block radius of our home, and saying to others “if you want to celebrate this holiday with me, I will be at church worshiping Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.”

There is so much secular hype around this holiday that we, “the faithful followers”, have lost our courage to say how we really feel about the season.
E. E. Cummings said “It takes COURAGE to grow up and become who you really are.”
Perhaps most of us have lost our courage OR have forgotten who we really are. My feeling however is, that it is both. We have forgotten who we are (children of God) and lost our courage (to stand up against those who try to deny who we are).

How would people react if you had the courage to say- “This year I’m celebrating Christmas not with presents and parties and Santa Clause but with the gift God has given me to share the story of Jesus Christ.”?  I will warn you, there is the possibility that someone could call you a “scrooge” for doing this. They could also try to claim that you have lost your “holiday cheer” or “Christmas spirit”. How would you react to their reaction? Would you back down and fold under pressure? Would you stand courageous in your decision of who you are as a child of God and a follower of Jesus Christ?

“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are”…So, who are you-really?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

Almost Back to Reality

In this final few days of sabbatical as I begin to re-enter “the real world”, I want to thank each of you who have prayed for and with me over these almost 60 days. I have spent time over these past two months reflecting on eleven years of ministry and know that God continues to call me to this extraordinarily beautiful life with all of the highs and lows of working with, living with, and loving Gods people. I am looking forward to these last few days however my heart and soul are ready to be back with the wonderful people of First Christian Church and Oskaloosa! See you very soon. Week Nine Hope for the week:  I hope the people I have been away from are as excited to see me as I am to see them! Is there an Answer (last week’s question): How many pages will I write for my devotion/resource? It is hard to say how many pages have been written, however I made progress in outline, structure, and worship ideas. Question of the Week:    How much $$ will it take to restock my emp