Skip to main content

It's Christmas whether the "to do" list is done or not!

I Want to Stop Running Kenneth G. Phifer

Eternal God, you are a song amid silence,
a voice out of quietness,
a light our of darkness,
a Presence in the emptiness,
a coming out of the void.
You are all of these things and more.
You are mystery that encompasses meaning,
meaning that penetrated mystery.
You are God,
I am [human].
I strut and brag.
I put down my fellows
and bluster out assertions of my achievements.
And then something happens:
I wonder who I am,
   and if I matter.
Night falls,
I am alone in the dark and afraid.
Someone dies,
I feel so powerless.
A child is born,
I am touched by the miracle of new life.
At such moments I pause…
to listen for a song amid the silence,
a voice out of stillness,
to look for light out of darkness.
I want to feel a Presence in the emptiness.
I find myself reaching for a hand.

Oftentimes, the feeling passes quickly,
and I am on the run again:
          success to achieve,
          money to make.
O Lord, you have to catch me on the run
most of the time.
I am too busy to stop,
too important to pause for contemplation.
I hold us too big a section of the sky
to sit down and meditate.
But even on the run,
an occasional flicker of doubt assails me,
And I suspect I may not be as important
to the world
         as I think I am.
Jesus said each of us is important to you.
It is as if every hair on our heads were numbered.
How can that be?
But in the hope that it is so,
I would stop running,
stop shouting,
      and be myself.

Let me be still now.
Let me be calm.
Let me rest upon the faith that you are, God,
and I need not be afraid. Amen.


It is the time of year when we run, run, run! Everything needs to be perfect and we are CLEARLY the only one who knows what that means.  We forget, even at this time of year when we want our focus to be on Christ’s birth that we are not in control of the big picture. We can have all the “To do” list we want and be successful at checking everything off of them, we still have no control. The living Spirit of God is in control, yes even in this holiday season…ESPECIALLY in these Holy Days!
I pray now and always God restore your soul that you may give glory to the one who has created you and made you whole!
Take a moment this Christmas Eve- close your eyes, take a deep breath, and listen. Here the angels singing and the shepherds rejoicing reminding you Christ is here. Born again in our hearts this day! Celebrate, be merry, rejoice that God is in control…even if you have a “to do” list isn’t completely finished!

Be still, be calm, rest in the assurance that God is God and you need not be afraid!

Happy Christmas to you and yours,
                                    Andrea J

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

From Behind the Communion Table

Over the past 10 years of pastoral ministry I have had the privilege to sit behind several Communion Tables. To preside at the Lord’s Supper is, I think, one of the most extraordinary things a minister can lead for her congregation. In lifting and break the bread and lifting and pouring the cup, reminding all who are gathered what Christ did for each of them, a minister is given the opportunity to look out into the heart of the congregation. In those moments after the Elders have distributed the trays to the Diaconate (in my tradition we pass trays filled with pieces of bread and cups of juice) I have been given the special opportunity to look everyone participating in worship. Over the years I have seen couples holding hands, children kneeling on the floor coloring a page from worship totes, mothers and grandmothers holding new babies, and others siting like statues eyes closed deep in prayer…or maybe they are asleep. I don’t watch the congregation in a creepy “I’m watching you” k