Skip to main content

Use the "good silver"!

Why are we always waiting for an excuse to “use the good silver”?  We wait for the right moment, the perfect occasion, the celebration to end all celebrations and when it arrives, we are still sometimes reluctant to bring it out of its safe hiding place at the bottom of the cedar chest or china cabinet.  When we finally decide the occasion is worthy of “the good silver” we spend excessive amounts of time meticulously polishing and situating each piece in its proper place on the table, that we no sooner get everything set out and it is time to put it away again.
How did your family’s silver become “the good silver”? When great grandma (insert your own family name here) left it to you in her Will, was there a usage clause that deemed it “the good silver, only to be used on certain days for certain occasions”? Did the clause read something like this; “The ‘good silver’ can only be used on occasions where there are more than five(5) family members present, it must ALL be used or NONE can be used, and most importantly no matter what happens it MUST be on the table for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.”  I would venture to say that is not the case. I would imagine that great grandma never thought of it as “the good silver” but just as the silver, used everyday to serve meals to her family, to butter great grandpa’s toast at breakfast and cut his meat and potatoes at supper. It is my thought that the silver hasn’t been passed down from generation to generation so it can sit in a box and only be used a few times a year but that it was intended to be used time and again, for the special occasion of having food enough to eat and family with which to share it!
I think we often treat the Word of God in the same way we treat “the good silver”. It is special and important to us and we don’t want anything to happen to it so we only bring it out when the occasion calls for it. Instead of searching for the right occasion to share the Word of God we should treat it more like the everyday silver, using it daily because the special occasion is not a particular holiday; the special occasion is that this powerful, amazing, and everlasting Word needs to be shared with a hurting world now more than ever. The special occasion is that you are fortunate enough to know the story and are given the opportunity time and time again to share it with others.
As this holiday season quickly accelerates into full swing, remember the occasion is now, the time is right, USE THE GOOD SILVER! SHARE THE GOOD WORD

Comments

  1. Fits into "eat dessert first," I believe. Use the good stuff - the Word - first. Before all the other stuff that gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing of the Seasons

"I don't like this cold..." SERIOUSLY not even two weeks ago some of the same people who are saying this were more recently saying "I can't stand this heat, I wish it was cooler." You got your wish, quit complaining!  Why is it we are never happy in the moment? It is too hot, too cold, too boring, too silly, too dry, too wet, too overwhelming, not overwhelming enough...the list continues. As I sit in my office this afternoon, reflecting on the past few week's events (funerals, Sunday school starting, children and youth activities starting, countless meetings, and moments(very few moments) of silence) I hear in the back of my mind a voice not my own reciting the beginning of Ecclesiastes 3     1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:  2  a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;  3  a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to buil

Is This Love?

I don't follow politics as much as I should... but I have been following, entirely second hand, what happened in North Carolina and President Obama’s statement supporting same-sex marriage and I wonder…how did we get here? I am in the midst of working on my sermon for Sunday and I don’t know where to go because I don’t know how we got here. Maybe you are asking “where is here?” Here May 11, 2012 in a society that feels like total anarchy. 236 years ago (give or take) some people who were feeling oppressed and alienated sought to make a better life where it would be understood that ALL were created equal. Of course that first claim came with underlying unspoken exceptions- ALL were created equal- except women, children, people of different skin tone, and more recently people who define and qualify love differently than others. I admittedly do not know much more than I did as a senior in high school about politics. Political Science was a classed I HAD to take in order to gra

From Behind the Communion Table

Over the past 10 years of pastoral ministry I have had the privilege to sit behind several Communion Tables. To preside at the Lord’s Supper is, I think, one of the most extraordinary things a minister can lead for her congregation. In lifting and break the bread and lifting and pouring the cup, reminding all who are gathered what Christ did for each of them, a minister is given the opportunity to look out into the heart of the congregation. In those moments after the Elders have distributed the trays to the Diaconate (in my tradition we pass trays filled with pieces of bread and cups of juice) I have been given the special opportunity to look everyone participating in worship. Over the years I have seen couples holding hands, children kneeling on the floor coloring a page from worship totes, mothers and grandmothers holding new babies, and others siting like statues eyes closed deep in prayer…or maybe they are asleep. I don’t watch the congregation in a creepy “I’m watching you” k